NCLEX Info>>Apply to Test>>
NCLEX Forms for Rhode Island
Application for Licensure by Examination
RN/LPN Application: Apply Online
RN Initial Application: $135.00
Licensed Practical Nurse Initial Application: $45.00
All fees are non-refundable. Fees are payable to "General Treasurer, State of Rhode Island"
National Background Check: $35.00 (payable to "BCI")
- Application forms for the state of Rhode Island may be filled out on your computer at the link provided above, but must then be printed and sent to the Board.
- Fingerprints and criminal background checks are required.
- Applicants with criminal or disciplinary history must disclose that information on the application.
- Submitting the application for licensure by examination does NOT register you for the NCLEX exam. Applicants must register and pay separately for the exam by going to: www.pearsonvue.com.
As part of the application process you must:
- Register to take the NCLEX. Do this before submitting the application to the Board.
- Request an official school transcript. Transcripts should be sent directly from the Registrar's office to the Board.
- Make an appointment to have your fingerprints taken. This will initiate the criminal background check process. Do this by going to the: Background Check Info Page and following the instructions for "National Background Checks". The report MUST be sent directly from the Department of Attorney General (“AG”) to the RI Board of Nursing.
- Obtain a recent passport-size photograph (2x2) and affix it to the application form. The photo must show your full face, from the front, without a hat or dark glasses. Full body pictures are not acceptable. You must sign and date the back of the photo.
- Get the application notarized Have the application form notarized. Take the completed, UNSIGNED application to a Notary Public. A Notary Public is someone who is licensed to verify the authenticity of a person's signature. DO NOT SIGN your application until you take it to be notarized. The Notary Public has to watch you sign the application.
The Notary Public may charge a fee for his or her services. To find a Notary Public try your bank or the post office. You can also search here: http://www.notaryrotary.com/agent/find_a_notary.asp
- Mail the completed and signed application form to the Board of Nursing along with the appropriate fee and supporting documents. DO NOT HAND DELIVER the application . It MUST BE MAILED.
Once you are registered for the exam and the application, fee, fingerprints and supporting documentation have been received, the Board will determine your eligibility to test.
Applicants who are deemed eligible to test will receive an Authorization To Test (ATT) notification directly from the testing service. The ATT letter will include information regarding scheduling the examination.
When passing examination results are received by the Board a license will be issued.
About Temporary Permits
Graduates of an approved school of nursing who have filed a complete application with the Board may, upon receiving a receipt from the Board for said application and documents, function as a graduate professional nurse or graduate practical nurse (GN or GPN).
This authorization is valid for a period of ninety (90) days from the date on the application receipt or until NCLEX results are made available.
The authorization is NOT renewable and will immediately become void if the applicant fails the examination or the 90 day limit is reached, whichever comes first.
Candidates with Disabilities:
If you require special accommodations during the exam, contact the Board as soon as possible at:
Department of Health
Need More Information?
Access the site for the Rhode Island Board of Nursing here: Rhode Island Board of Nursing