NCLEX Forms for South Dakota
RN and LPN Licensure by Examination
RN/LPN Application Fee: $100.00
Fees are non-refundable
- Applications for the state of South Dakota should be submitted online.
- Fingerprints and criminal background checks are mandatory.
- Submitting the application for licensure by examination does NOT register you for the NCLEX. Applicants must register and pay separately for the exam by going to: www.pearsonvue.com.
As part of the application process, you must:
- Register with Pearson Vue to take the NCLEX exam. You must do this before sending in the licensure application.
- Request an official transcript showing the graduation date and degree obtained. The transcript must be sent directly from the school to the Board.
- Graduates of South Dakota schools should also request that the school complete the Certification of Nursing Education form and submit it directly to the Board.
- Request that fingerprint materials be mailed to you. Make the request by calling the Board of Nursing at (605) 362-2760 or send your request via email
- Make an appointment to have your fingerprints taken. This may be done at any law enforcement agency.
- Submit the application form along with the fee, completed fingerprint cards, and additional supporting documents.
Once the application, fee, fingerprints, and supporting documents have been reviewed, the Board will determine if you are eligible to test.
If you are eligible to take the NCLEX, you will receive an authorization to test (ATT) and instructions on scheduling the test. You have 90 days to complete the test.
When passing NCLEX results are received by the board, a license will be issued.
About Temporary Permits:
Temporary permits, which allow you to practice nursing until NCLEX results have been obtained, are issued by the state of South Dakota when the Board has received:
- A complete application for licensure including supporting documents
- Completed fingerprints cards
- Temporary permit fee
- Proof of NCLEX registration.
Applicants who are issued a temporary permit must use the title "RN App" or "LPN App". They may NOT use the title of "graduate nurse".
The permit is non-renewable and only valid for 90 days or until NCLEX results are received.
If you need special accommodations for the NCLEX due to disability, contact the Board of Nursing as soon as possible:
Need More Information?
Click Here to Practice for the South Dakota NCLEX!
Access the site for the South Dakota Board of Nursing here: South Dakota Board of Nursing